Monday, September 14, 2015

Personal Diet Modification


I have two different diets in my life.  My weekday diet and my weekend diet.  During the week, I eat very well.  This is an example of one of the meals in my weekday diet:

Breakfast: Protein shake with strawberries or banana
Snack: Protein Bar
Lunch: Sandwich with whole wheat bread, lean turkey, and avocado
Snack: String Cheese or cottage cheese and a piece of fruit
Dinner: Lean Meat with brown rice or sweet potato and a serving of a vegetable
Snack: Protein shake with strawberries or banana

During the week it is fairly easy to stick with this kind of healthy diet.  I have been eating this way for so long now that I have found ways to make it interesting.  Hagloch (2006) recommends that balancing all the food groups and eating whole foods as much is possible is what is needed to eat well and be healthy. I feel like throughout the week I do this and I feel wonderful when I eat this way.  I have lots of energy and a rarely hungry.  I feel like it is a well-balanced diet and it helps me to keep my weight under control throughout the week. 

This is an example of my weekend diet:

WHATEVER SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!



Obviously this is a big weakness in my personal diet.  I have found that by Monday I am sluggish and tired and the regularity in my digestion is not where it should be.  When I teach one of my Monday morning classes, I struggle to have the stamina I need.  I know this, but yet I still seem to let the healthy eating I do throughout the week go come Friday night and it becomes a free for all diet all weekend long. 

I have decided that the biggest change that needs to happen with my personal diet is my weekend bingeing.  I need to keep my weekday diet the same throughout the weekend.  Since I know that is not realistic, I can allow myself one meal throughout the weekend that can consist of whatever I want.  This way, I get to eat something that may not be the most nutritious, but is something that sounds good.  I have done this in the past and it allows me some freedom without all the negative effects that an entire weekend of binge eating can bring. 

Eating For Health (2011). Image retrieved from http://strictlynononsense.com/acediets/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Healthy-eating.jpg

Hagloch, S.B. (2006). What to Eat: The Ten Things You Really Need To Know To Eat Well and Be Healthy! /So What Can I Eat?: How To Make Sense of the New Dietary Guidelines for Americans and Make Them Your Own. Library Journal, 131(2), 99-100. 

Image retrieved from https://idolinamaldonado.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/junk-food-2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment